Achim Steiner, Administrator, United Nations Development Programme
· Sabina Alkire, Director, Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative
· HE M.A. Mannan, Minister of Planning, Bangladesh
· Isabel Saint Malo, Former Vice President, Panama
· Olivier De Schutter, UN Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights
· Theadora Swift Koller, Senior Technical Advisor, Equity, World Health Organization
· Dean Joliffe, Lead Economist, Development Data Group, World Bank
The update of the global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) in 2020, contains unprecedented and riveting findings – on how poverty reduced in a study covering 5 billion people, on how COVID-19 might affect projected levels of multidimensional poverty, and on how MPI interacts with SDG indicators like vaccination, work, and environment.
Join our panelists for a discussion of how to understand and fight poverty in the present times. The panel will consider the importance of a multidimensional approach to understand current poverty levels and trends in poverty reduction.
The discussion will also explore how the MPI can provide a tool to chart pathways out of multidimensional poverty and explore the correlations between the MPI and pressing global challenges such as immunisation and climate change.